Monday, March 30, 2009

"Tender Moments . . . " Revisited

I have one girl in my class, Archie. Archie has autism. She's actually my first real experience with autism. Kids may say the darn-dest things, but Archie takes the cake. She will often ask questions that she wants you to ask her so that she can let you know what's happening with her . . .

Last week we were doing some testing when she jumped up from the table:

Miss Lisa: "Archie, what are you doing? Sit down, girl, we're not quite finished here."

Archie: "I have to go to the bafroom!"

Miss Lisa: "Well, alright. On you go then!"

Archie (on her way out the door): "Miss Lisa, is that the poop that's coming out?"

Normally, Miss Lisa would say: "Is it, Archie?" However, on this occasion . . .

Miss Lisa: "It better not be until you are on the toilet, young lady! Go, GO, GO!!!"

And SCENE!!!

6 comments:

cemotosnack said...

Oh the joys of being a teacher. Never good to hear a child say, "Is that the poop coming out?"
I love your response ... but I need to know how it ended. Was it the poop coming out or did Archie actually make it to the appropriate dumping ground?

Lisa said...

She did make it. LOL When she doesn't like what a peer is doing and wants him to stop she says, "Sonny wants to stop crying, but he couldn't!" That's how she cues grown-ups to intervene.

Sarah said...

You should have said, "No, Archie, that's just a little turtle popping it's head out to say hello!" Wonder how she would have responded......

Lisa said...

That's FUNNY!!!!

Su said...

LOL! I'd like to take this moment to THANK GOD that I am not a teacher!

Anonymous said...

I second what Su said! Yikes! Dealing with my own children's bodily functions was one thing, but someone else's child? Ewww