Monday, March 5, 2007

The Thing About Weddings

I grew up loving weddings. They were so fun! Pretty dresses like in a fairytale, pledges and tokens of eternal love, those cream cheese mints, and CAKE!!!! What's not to love about weddings? As the years have gone by all that stuff has only gotten better. Unfortunately, my childhood fervor for weddings has waned in the past decade or so. They tend to have the same effect on me as birthdays--I'm not getting any younger . . . Am I making the right choices with my life? . . . Will I always be a wedding guest and never a bride? . . . This cake is so good!. . . Am I destined to be alone? I also get very frustrated at weddings because when I fantasize about my own, certain songs come to mind that I'd like to have. Yet sure as the sun rises in the east, the next wedding I attend has stolen my songs. Yes, stolen them. I can't help it if I want to be a little different from everyone else. I acknowledge that it's virtually impossible for me to have a song in my wedding that no one has used before me, but you can't blame a girl for dreaming. (Don't worry, Flee, I've stopped dreaming about using music from "The Lion King", apparently no one wants to steal that one!)

My worst wedding experience was the wedding of a dear friend. It was in the my home congregation back in NM many years ago. The whole course of the wedding and preparations, everybody who'd ever known me kept smiling and raising their eyebrows at me saying things like "You're next!" "You're day is coming!" "You're going to find someone soon!" . . . Images of knocking each of them upside the head with songbooks kept flashing through my mind as I smiled and politely endured these comments, even the sweet old ladies. Having been recently thwarted in love, mercy was a virtue that was difficult for me to come by. I don't think these well-meaning, good-hearted folks realize how irritating it is for a single girl to hear those things. (I know not all single gals feel that way, but I know a few who do.) Speaking as one that does, I already feel "love-impaired", defective, & beyond hope. I don't need to be reminded of it by all the people who watched me grow up. I haven't even gotten to the worse part of this experience, which was the tossing of the bouquet. Yes, that time-honored tradition that I started dreading in my late teens. It wasn't a game anymore. It had become the single girl's only hope for a future at the altar. My stomach churns just thinking about the possibility of having to participate in one. At this wedding, though, I had no choice and nowhere to hide. As I stood there, surrounded by a few strangers and a bunch of young girls whom I had counseled at church camp, time suddenly stood still. The moment had arrived and all I wanted to do was get it over with, get home, and into a comfortable pair of shoes. It was in that moment that all those young girls turned their eyes on me, then to one another and almost in unison began to shout, "Let Lisa catch it!! Let Lisa catch it!!!" The large group of them parted like the Red Sea and left me standing there in the middle of the room in utter mortification. Oh for the earth to open and swallow me up! And I still didn't catch the thing. I know in my heart that catching the bouquet signifies nothing, except the much underestimated female capacity for violence. But I can't help but think, "God, please, throw me a bone!"

These days being single isn't the horror I always thought it to be. I'm not saying it's easy or that I don't still long for a mate. However, I've been single pretty much my whole life and spent most of my 20's thinking I'd shrivel up an die if I didn't marry by the time I was 30. I'm neither dead, nor shriveled and no worse for the wear, so what was all the fuss about? I just don't know. I must say, though, that God has worked on me to bring me to this place. He put wonderful people in my life, like Sarah, who showed me that being single was something embrace and celebrate. Even more recently He has sparked a renewal within me. I'm pursuing my relationship with Him more than I have in a long time & I'm really thankful for that. Why did I ever let it stagnate? I know that He's never left me and I have never stopped praying, but I have really missed God! Know what I mean?

I went to another wedding of another dear friend this past weekend. I re-connected with old friends who've long left Lubbock. It was WONDERFUL! I still had some pangs from the usual nagging questions, but I had more fun than I've had in a long time at a wedding. My compliments to the bride, who chose not subject her single friends to the anxiety-producing tradition of the bouquet toss. Clearly she understands the woes of that love-lorn crowd, whether we have chosen our states or not. Besides, not having to worry about that dreaded moment in the celebration made it much easier to enjoy the cake. And it was GOOD!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you have the BEST groom already--God Himself.

And I am on the other side of your situation--yet have pondered some of the same questions. Did I make the right choice with my life? Is my identity wholly and completely that of a wife and mother alone? Not that I don't so love being a wife and mother, but it's easy for Satan to attack you in any station you are in.

Honestly, I sometimes envy women like you and Sarah (and I have to admit that when I first met her a year ago, I thought she was in her mid 20's simply because she was not married--and she looks so good for our age!)But as I said, there are times when I am ignored if Chris is not with me--even by well meaning church members. Like I am only worthy of conversation if he is there. I was not single long enough to forge my own identity or to be recognized by my own merits instead of those created by this "couple". I was married at the SUPER YOUNG age of 20! I went to a wedding once where the pastor did not ask the bride and groom to blow out their candles after the unity candle was lit. He said that while yes they are now one, they are still equally who they were before the union and that will never be lost. I loved that.

So I say to you, friend, that you should enjoy EVERY piece of cake that you taste. And know that God's plans for you in this world do not need help from someone else. This is your time with Him alone--how lucky you are.

Lisa said...

As usual, Elaine, all I can say is "Wow".

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Ever consider a blog yourself, Elaine. I really enjoyed reading that.

As per usual, your eloquence of the written language is only surpassed by your honesty.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on marriage and non-marriage. It is funny, I hate going to weddings for the same reasons. But I love going to weddings for the same reason...cake!!! The love between the bride and groom is great but the cake is what makes the day. Therefore, I have decided that I may not have people around when I get married but I will have the best cake ever!!! It will be so much better than Irish Wedding/Christmas/Fruit cake.

Lisa said...

~Whispering~ Jenny, um, Elaine does have a blog. You can get to it from Sarah's. I love you!!! Did you have an Irish Wedding/Christmas/Fruit Cake?!?!?!? With marzipan? Blech!

Su said...

I'm with ya. I hate marzipan.

I omitted the bouquet toss at my wedding for the same reason-- I didn't want to subject my sister to that kind of-- whatever you want to call it. 'Cause it would have been her, three teenagers, and our three-year-old cousin.

Sarah said...

Ok, I have to say can we do away with the feed each other's face at the wedding? And do you have to subject us to the arm tangling, punch drinking? The garter/bouquet tossing is the worst wedding tradition of all. Let's humiliate all your single frients, and rub it into their faces that you are no longer single! Really, who came up with that crap? You're just delaying the reason everyone came there to begin with. . .getting their own piece of cake. We don't care about the smooching, or the ridiculously long photo shoot with every member of your family. WE CAME FOR THE CAKE!!!!! Just make sure it is not marzipan or fondant!!! Oh and we want the buttercream icing!

Melinda said...

Elopement is underrated.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was truly atrocious! And thanks for the heads up.

flee said...

I'm with Melinda.

If I could do it all again, it would have been family and a few close friends in some awesome location with good music and good wine....a weekend celebration or something like that.

Good post Lisa. I can totally picture your face as you write. And I'm SO happy to hear that you have finally let go of the song from "The Lion King"...I knew you would see the light. Love you girl..flee

The Gearharts said...

I think anything I say here could piss you off, and I do not what to receive the wrath of Queen Lisa. People don't talk to you about getting married because they really care (unless it is you parents) I am hoping because if they do then people talk to me all the time about "DO I know what causes That." THAT being the three children we have that are 37 months apart. I mean do they really care?!!! I think the answer is NO. We are all pron to saying stupid things to start conversations. That is why the Here's your sign comedian is so funny. Lisa if you ever do get married I hope I am invited and we all wear princess dresses, and you make everyone do crazy stuff. You can do that it is your wedding! However, I am also thrilled you will not be using music from the Lion King. If you never get married you could still have a big party and all wear princess dresses, and I still want to be invited.
Amy G