Saturday, March 17, 2007

At Home in the Desert




I went home this past week--home being Carlsbad. It was Spring Break here, so I took advantage of the opportunity to get the heck out of Dodge! If you’ve never been to Carlsbad, it’s a smaller town in the desert in southern New Mexico along the Pecos River. When I got back from the mission field, my experiences with reverse-cultureshock and re-entry caused me a significant amount of frustration with the place where I grew up. I haven’t gone home much over the years as a result. Time is a great mellowing agent and my attitude is changing. I’m finding Carlsbad more intriguing these days, as well as a place to appreciate.


I took my dogs with me, an interesting adventure in and of itself. Picture if you will two dogs, one a Golden Retriever and the other making up for what she lacks in size with a frightening energy (I like to think it’s a zeal for the Lord), and a little white, 2-door Honda Civic. They behaved very well, though, and I think they even had fun.


My parents, as most of you know, are the sweetest people in the world. I spent the time there between going out with my dad to his house projects and helping my mom use her computer. When I went last year, they didn’t have their VCR hooked up and it still wasn’t this year. I helped with that also and was somewhat amused by the fact that there was a time when they knew how to hook everything up and I didn’t. What was even more amusing was Dad and I successfully hooked up the VCR using instructions for a completely different machine. One of the really high points of my visit was having dinner with Dad at Pizza Inn. I love Pizza Inn. They make fantastic dessert pizzas that can’t be found anywhere else.


I took Sophie for a walk every morning that we were there. The neighborhood has changed significantly since my family moved there 25 years ago. The large “vacant lot” near our house is completely developed with houses. The kids of the neighborhood used to ride our bikes there. The trees are bigger and the street seems narrower than they did to my 6 year-old eyes. I’m glad the area is developing. I wouldn’t want my parents living in a rundown neighborhood. And not everything has changed. Even though the orignial Walmart is now a Sutherlands and the new one is a Super Walmart practically in the next lot, it’s still the place to run into everyone. In a single visit, I saw about 5 people I went to high school with and as many older folk I remember. I still remember when they put the basketball court in over at the park 2 blocks over from my house. It was there I carved my eternal love for Dave Oakley in stone . . . literally. In my defense, I was 11 or 12. My eternal love for him gave way to eternal love for many other boys in the years to come. While nothing lasts forever, unfortunately I think my declaration is going to be where it is for a very long time.


Carlsbad is a really beautiful town. I do love the desert where I spent my childhood and I will leave you with more pictures from the trip.

Me and mom after her Red Hat Society Dinner.


My sweet Daddy.


He insisted on buying me this-it's ACTUALLY called a "Pecan PICKER UP-ER"!


Me and Sophie

Dad, plum tuckered out.

Desert sunset.

13 comments:

Melinda said...

I love your parents! :) Pizza Inn cherry pizza = YUM! I remember the David Oakley carving! Ha! I haven't seen him in ages. I think my parents have a Pecan Picker Upper too. Or they used to. It works! Great blog, my friend! :) I'm glad you had a good Spring Break.

Anonymous said...

Just to echo Melinda, Your parents are some of the most loveable people in the world. I am sure your trip made their week as much as I know they made yours. I am glad that you had a good week at home. Treasure it!
Listening to you talk about your home is bittersweet. Sweet for the memories of "home". Bitter for the changes that have gone on in my life this past year. I am so happy that a good family got our home but, honestly, the person that truly belongs there is my Mom.

Thank you for blogging. I am at a good place in my life where I can think about "home" and not get sad. You are a great friend and great writer.

Sarah said...

I love that Dave Oakley story! BTW, you can't claim my dog yet!

Lisa said...

Sarah, she belongs to me as long as she is with me. I'll give her back! I may do it reluctantly for my own selfish reasons, but I'll give her back.

Su said...

Wow, you went to a red hat dinner? Was it your own red hat, or did you borrow it?

BTW, thought of you this morning... I got behind a slow NM license plate while I was in a bit of a hurry. (In my defence, the driver was doing 10 mph under the speed limit.) It was the plate, not the slowness, that reminded me of you.

Lisa said...

I went to a Red Hat dinner last year with mom, but we were just posing and they were her hats. You're tale of the slow car with NM plates, Susan, reminded me that I was very anxious in Carlsbad traffic . . . it was so SLOW!!! I like leisurely driving and but Lubbock's pace is so much faster, even on a leisurely scale. I had to a lot of controlled breathing and self-talk.

Anonymous said...

Your parents look absolutely adorable. I hope your time off gave you a physical, spiritual, and emotional time of rest.

The Gearharts said...

Lisa Just need to second and third and fourth all the comments about your kind sweet parents. I am glad you had a nice time in Carlsbad.
Also, I was really kind of expecting you to show up in Tulsa along with Charles. We had an awesome time, but we missed lots that were not there. Jenny, Sarah, Melinda, and Su you all missed out, but I am so thankful I get to read your comments around the Blog world. I feel like I still get to be a little part of your lives. I have been so thankful for the internet. Lisa, I really like reading about the world according to Queen Lisa. I am sending much love and prayers you way.
Amy G

Anonymous said...

Yeah... what Amy said! It's been so great to get a slice of your life via the net. I can hardly remember what life was like pre-blogging!

Love reading you Lisa... just love it! You're so brave - revealing that you were crushing on Dave Oakley and all. Dave, if you're reading this... you totally missed out. Lisa's too hot for you now.

Sure do love you, your hotness...

Sarah said...

Yeah, Dave Oakley, you so missed out! She's off da' hook! Thankfully, since Dave missed out, some of us got to know you!

Su said...

So, I was wondering (and this is waaaaay off topic), are you going back to Carlsbad in May? 'Cause there is a 10K I may want to run...

Lisa said...

Susan, I most certainly could since I'm no longer working on weekends!!!

Su said...

Really? Hee! No, there is no way I can be ready for a 10K by May, I am taking the slow path when it comes to running in actual races. But it is a cool thought. I actually came over here to tell you I caught the small stones comment on Angie's blog and was amused! But I didn't want to start a conversation with you in her comments, you know how that goes, tra la la la la.