Saturday, April 7, 2007

Musings on a Saturday

Wow. I didn't mean to go so long between posts. Clearly, you rabid readers are furious with the the lack of activity in the world inside my head, but it's not because I've been too busy or too tired. There really is nothing going on up there, if there was it would be posted here.

So it's Saturday and it's April, which means two things: Sarah has returned and I no longer work at TBR. I will save my thoughts on TBR for another post. What is there to say about Sarah's return, early return at that, but YEE-DOODY-HAW!!!? She surprised me speechless. It was odd her being gone and then ~shazam!~ there she is. Yes, I just said "shazam". I'm having to adjust my routine because it had been get up, feed dogs, check computer/Skype, get dressed, work, come home, check computer/Skype (I was also checking frequently at school), run errands, eat, come home, check computer/Skype, love on dogs, go to bed, repeat. I went to my computer on Tuesday morning out of habit before I remembered she was back. Let me just say once more: It's GOOD to have you home, girl!!!

I woke up to a blanket of snow this morning. I can't say that I'm all that thrilled about it. It's APRIL for petesake! This is more shocking than the waking up to snow May 9, 1995 when I went to renew my visa at the airport in Glasgow. I thought about posting a picture of it, but decided not to. If you want to see what snow in Lubbock looks like in April, see "The Dog Days of Winter" post. It's exactly the same. My Mom and Dad are in town. Always nice when they visit. I get doted on and who doesn't love that? They usually refurbish my toilet paper supply. And this time I got a drill! I have my own drill now. So all you local pals, if you need some drilling done call me!

We went to the grocery store where I saw a Grapple. A Grapple is an apple that tastes like a grape. It has convinced me that the horticulturists responsible for our fresh produce supply have entirely too much time on their hands. Whose genius idea was that anyway? Somebody actually sat down and thought, "What if an apple tasted exactly like a grape?" Not only did they sit down and think about it, they made it happen. Let me just say that if I want something that tastes like a grape, I'm going to buy grapes. That would cause serious texture flavor confusion for me otherwise and my brain is confused enough without biting into an Grapple. Not only that, I take serious issue with the name "Grapple". I know what they are aiming for, but it strikes too similar a resemblance to the word "grope" in my mind. I won't tell where that leads my mind next, but I think you get the picture and experiencing fruit should have its limits. That stated, if you like living on the edge when it comes to your fruit, may I suggest a Grapple? I have no desire to try it, but it might actually take your world by storm.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

Ha ha! Funny thoughts on the Grapple. :D I tried one when we went to the Northwest on vacation in '05. I prefer apples to be apples and grapes to be grapes.

And welcome home, Sarah! What an awesome adventure you had! :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am so glad to read a new post by THE all time funniest author ever. But I can't talk too much--it took me three weeks to update mine too. We may need your drilling expertise as we are moving into a new house come May! So be prepared!
Oh, and thanks for being so great to us while Sarah was out. Matthew loved his cards everytime. I know you were being a good friend to Sarah, but your kindness overflowed onto us as well.

Sarah said...

What grocery store was the grapple at? I wanna try it!

Thanks for the welcome home! It's good to be home!

Su said...

Firstly, I would like to say that Grapples are wonderful, but too expensive for me to buy. I only eat them when someone else buys them. It's not just the taste, though that is good, but the smell is great. I do agree that the produce-makers have too much free time. :)

Secondly, the word "grapple" makes me think of what high school wrestling teams do.

Thirdly, I am very glad we got our spring cold snap out of the way so we can get on with the warmer weather.

Anonymous said...

Do you think the reason behind the grapple is so that you can eat something that is more filling? That doesn't make sense, just eat more grapes. I am sitting here pondering the real purpose behind it. If you have a craving for grapes than eat grapes. Isn't there a need to cure something?

Lisa I am with you some people have way too much time on their hands.

Glad you are back writing. Take care.

Su said...

Well, I think they still taste like apples, too. They taste like both. So I suppose one could just have some fruit salad if one were craving both apples and grapes.

Also (Lisa, this is probably your fault) I have spent waaay too much time thinking over possible alternative names for the Grapple since I first read this post.