Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Curse of the Elephant Memory

There is scientific evidence supporting the idiom “An elephant never forgets”. The Greeks originally said this of camels but as time went by, the camels were shut out of the world of idiom attribution and all the glory went to the elephants--a fact the camels have not forgotten. If you read the comments on my post about collecting stuff, you will remember the reference Melinda made to my “elephant memory” coming back to haunt her. I don’t know what she’s talking about. I didn’t realized she had fears about what I remember. Sarah also has had some unfortunate experiences with my memory. We were friends for about 5 years before I finally got her birthday right. A common phrase around that time of year was, “You can remember lines from the most obscure movies that no one in the world has seen besides you, but you can’t remember my birthday!?!” It’s true, though, I have a ridiculous capacity for recollection, although, in recent years my short-term memory has suffered lags and lapses, much to the frustration of not a few friends. (Sorry, y’all! Truly I am!)

Having a good memory does have its good features. For instance, I remember where I was when I told Flee about the boy who split his chocolate with me. I remember information that helps me take tests really well. I remember what happened when my arm was broken at age 3 . . . the whole ordeal down to keeping my Grandma Robertson up late into the night on popsicle runs until I had consumed all the cherry ones. I remember what my high school crush was wearing the first day I ever saw him, which was the first day of 8th grade. I remember the very first time I met Angie Burns: at Sunset in Carlsbad when the AIMers came and did a flag ceremony--I was a junior in high school. I remember the silly game Melinda and I played in our quarters at Skyridge that involved launching a scrunchie back and forth without using our hands. (It’s amazing how you can find ways to entertain yourself when there’s no TV!) I remember what I was wearing the day I was baptized. I remember when I realized that I could understand what a Scottish person was saying with out having to ask them to repeat themselves. I remember great and silly moments from my life. I remember Scotland. Some of the good memories are bittersweet. For the good times, though, the love and laughter--I am grateful for my elephant memory.

Having a good memory also has its disadvantages because with equal clarity do I remember the bad stuff. I remember the fear I felt when my arm broke at age 3. I was terrified of my babysitter, a mean and horrible woman in whose character my mother was deceived. I couldn’t stop crying no matter how hard I tried. (Of course, she was the one crying when she realized what had happened to me because she had left all us children unsupervised.) I remember when my best friend since first grade and a handful of other girls I had known as long decided I wasn’t cool enough to hang out with them anymore. I remember the stupid things I did in pursuit of boys all through my adolescence that only acquired me extreme mortification. I remember the shame I felt when my 8th grade History teacher caught me cheating on an assignment--I couldn’t bear his disappoint in me. I remember everything I’ve ever done that has hurt someone I loved. I remember the day I realized the man I loved most in the world didn’t love me in the same way. Having the memory of an elephant has been somewhat of a curse. I can recall pain, fear, shame, and feel it so acutely once again. It has contributed to my struggles with depression and has prevented me from being my true self because I fear how I will be perceived or judged or reviled.

One of my favorite movies is The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. My memory has been a source of endless frustration for me and a double-edged sword. I would love to be able to erase certain things from my head, but unlike the “science” in the film, I don’t think I can do that without wiping out the good along with the bad. I don’t want to give up the good, even when the good makes my heart ache. At least, I know that it happened. And that really is the thing, isn’t it? Erasing my memories does not change the fact that the events happened and the way they affected me and shaped who I am does not change.

Yet as I grow older, I am starting to make peace with my elephant memory. I am beginning to see how God has used some of the more painful experiences to make me a better person today. I’m a more compassionate teacher, childcare worker, and friend because I know what it’s like to feel rejected. I’m more sensible about relationships because of my history with men. I take responsibility for the mistakes I make and accept when I’m just wrong because of 8th grade History. I certainly haven’t cheated again. I know that God is and will continue to work through my experiences with depression and bring somthing good from it. I’m working on not thinking so much about the more painful stuff in my memories, not giving things that happened years ago power over me today. It’s far from easy, but everyday I feel the curse is lifting.

13 comments:

Melinda said...

That was great, my friend! I love reading your entries. I don't normally have fears about your elephant memory, but after your blog about collecting things I was afraid that you remembered things I've done or said that I don't, and I'm more inclined to believe you because of your elephant memory. Hope that made sense.

Skyridge! I miss that place like crazy. Part of my heart is gone forever. I do remember that scrunchie game! Ha ha! What goofballs. I remember someone putting cow patties in our room that year too. Good times...

Sarah said...

You're not the only one cursed by your elephant memory!!!! But because you are my friend and prove yourself handy on occasion, I suppose I can put up with it.

flee said...

Thanks for putting that out there Lisa. Beautifully written. You are a good good woman. I have always been amazed at the things you can remember too! Sometimes I would think, "she's making that up, I NEVER said or did that!" Funny!

Hey I need to get in touch with your bro! Can you email me his number asap! Thank you dear!

Love you..flee
thepatten5@sbcglobal.net

Melinda said...

Hey Flee! You guys stole our preacher. I hope you're enjoying him. ;)

Anonymous said...

Whoa... my memory is the very antithesis of yours! I don't remember very much at all, which has come in quite handy to plead ignorance in some cases.

But my situation is equally frustrating. Sometimes I have to call my friend Julie to ask her something about my childhood. No kidding! I call her "my memory." She could feed me a line & I'd totally buy it.

I used to be jealous of folks with a good memory. I guess there's pos and neg in each scenario...

Good thing God works *all things* together for good, because we both sure do love Him, don't we!

Su said...

I hear ya, pal. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with a memory like this... I can remember the smallest, unimportant details of second grade but can't remember what Chad said to me yesterday. Also, you must come round for tea one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I hope I am not too late posting this comment?

I loved your post as always. I find it interesting the perspectives that go into our memories as well. My sister and I see our childhoods very differently. Same time and place completely different stories.

There is a memory that you have of when we first met. I don't think I was blowing you off. I am challenging that memory!!

Lisa said...

You weren't trying to blow me off? Perhaps not, Nye, but you certainly didn't endeavor to make it easy for me . . . abrupt responses to my questions, not making eye-contact, and the smile I finally got out of you was due to my hard work and my hard work alone! I take full credit for it. Challenge all you want, dear heart, but that's exactly what happened. :) xox

Anonymous said...

As I recall, we were watching the volleyball game and we had a pleasant conversation that began a great friendship. That is what I remember and I am sticking to it!! Besides, if I was possibly unresponsive it could have been because I was in cahoots that day. Can you blame me?!?

Melinda said...

LOL!!! Does in cahoots mean what I think it means?? I've been laughing so hard that I have tears rolling down my face and I couldn't even type for awhile. =D

Anonymous said...

I actually don't remember what the intended meaning was at that time. I just know that when it was used in the wrong context.
Speaking of elephant memory...Lisa, do you remember?

Lisa said...

Of course I do!!!

Melinda said...

So what does it mean???