Friday, February 9, 2007

Now, If I Could Just Make Peace With My Body . . .

I'm always fascinated with the abilities of the human body. I grew up loving to watch gymnastics, figure skating, ballet, and old musicals. I loved how graceful these athletes were, they moved so beautifully! What's it like to fly through the air or spin or move like that? I want to do that! When we lived in Albuquerque, my mother looked into getting me involved in some kind of activity. We discovered I wouldn't be able to take ballet because I had flat feet. I had to get fitted for corrective orthotics, which I still wear. Ice skating would have been my next option, but we ended up moving to southern New Mexico, where no ice rink would prosper. I dabbled briefly in soccer, but I wasn't very tough and kept having the wind knocked out of me. I complained enough that my parents didn't make me stick with it. I wish they had or found some other sport for me to get involved in, something that would put me into a habit of challenging and strengthening my body. I've grown up with a greater tendency to not push myself when something is a physical struggle for me. I get tired of having to work so hard and not acheive results as fast as those around me. I know every body is different. I know everyone has hang-ups about their body, particularly women. I've seldom,though, come across anyone who has the hang-ups with her body that I have with mine.

I'm incredibly UNgraceful, I fall down a lot and tend to injure quite easily; although, I'm getting better about that. Of course, I try to avoid activities that would increase my likelihood of losing against gravity and sustaining injuries. It's hard to avoid walking completely, though. I mean, I have to walk from my bed to my bathroom and from my car into the school building, right? It's been one of my life's great conundrums. I'm just pliable. Always have been. There's something about my joints and ligaments. They can hyperextend or twist quite a bit before something tears and tearing almost never occurs. My brother often refers to my hands as "putty". I've had one broken arm and two toes my whole life, which is interesting considering all the falls I've taken. It took blunt force trauma to crack those puppies. Everything else has been scrapes, swelling, and painful humiliation because my crashes generally occurred in public venues. If you've ever seen those doll-toys where the doll is constructed from large beads connected by an elastic string--you know, the kind where you can pull on the leg until the string shows and let go and it snaps back with a 'clack!'--well, that's what it's like living in my body. I went swimming once and was kicking around in the water and my bones in my leg separated at my knee. I actually felt my leg below the knee stretch away from my knee and snap back. Another time, I was doing a climbing wall and I was trying to push up on the first foot hold and my upper leg slipped away from my knee towards the wall while my knee and shin pulled away. I howled in pain, "My knee! My knee!" (Amanda always loves that story and to re-enact my screams of misery, even though she didn't actually witness it.) It slid back in place but it was painful.

And let me just tell you, it's scary to feel the parts of your body that are supposed to stay connected attempt to make a break for it. I had another experience with that today. I was playing baseball with my students, which doesn't require a lot of exertion given that most of them have little to no coordination or athletic ability. I was jogging the bases and one of my assistants decides to grab me and hold me so that the boy who has the ball can tag me. In my efforts to evade her grasp my knees AND ankles completely gave way . . . my feet were going one direction, my shins another, and my quads another. I was certain I was going in for a crash landing, but somehow managed to stay upright. Given the bellows of laughter from both my assistants, I'm sure it was hilarious to watch--like maybe watching the Scarecrow off The Wizard of Oz. My knees and hip were sore afterwards, along with my dignity. Can I not even change direction without my whole body getting confused about what it needs to do?

The truth is my body is an enormous source of frustration for me. I have no natural strength. I have to work really hard to build it up and even then, I'm still not as strong as an average woman of my size. I worked out for months to have the strength and stamina for that climbing wall, only to be thwarted by my ligaments. I am whining here, but don't misunderstand me. I can laugh at my mishaps, I do it often. However, at times I'd just as soon not have mishaps. I've frequently asked God why. Why did He make me this way? If I'm so "fearfully and wonderfully made", why is my physicality such a challenge? Why do I have to work so hard just to be average in this area of my life? "Haven't You given me enough?" I'm working on my attitude. I'm working on accepting myself and all my flaws and seeing what God sees through the blood of Jesus in spite of them. Why is it so hard to see ourselves the way He does, anyway? I'm being rhetorical here, mostly. I know that exercise and nutrition is the only way I'm going to even come close to having the type of functioning body that I want, so, along with working on acceptance, I'm working up my courage to try again . . . just one more time. It would be nice, though, to know what it's like to have a body that can do anything easily and fearlessly, for a change. I suppose I'll have to settle for running down the moving sidewalks at airports in order to acheive some sense of how it feels to run like the wind. At least if I fall down on one of those, I've not come to a complete hault. In the meantime, I will take advantage of having the ability to walk and be thankful that I can.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa... that was quite a compelling story about your flesh and bones. I had no idea.

We all certainly have issues, though. I've spent a lifetime being overweight & have a string of failed attempts to change that. Doesn't really boost my self-esteem.

I've found that the brutal FULL ACCEPTANCE of the way I am now is more key than I'd like to think. I wanna think positive... about the potential for change and goodness... But the fact is, THIS is what I wake up with and see in the mirror. THIS is who I am. THIS may not be me at my very best, but it is me. Somehow, I've got to make peace with that (without that meaning giving up).

Recently I heard someone say something to this effect:

If this (thing, situation, body, whatever...) were to remain unchanged for the rest of my life - what quality would have to grow in me in order to make it through?

Interesting. What would God have to do in me to make it okay to be this way all my days on earth? Self-love? Seeing myself through His eyes (as you mentioned)? Full acceptance? Finding the beauty in the imperfections?

Hmmm. Something to think about.

Lisa said...

Indeed something to think about, dear Angie. In the immortal words of Dorie from Finding Nemo: Just keep swimming! Or perhaps I should be looking to Paul's divinely inspired words, "Press on." Press on, we shall.

I try to look at the fact that I could probably get out of handcuffs as a good thing, except I don't want to consider in what situation I could find myself that would require my being in handcuffs. I'm not really going to hit people with my car or use a rocket launcher during an incident of road rage. I don't even know where to get a rocket launcher.

Anonymous said...

You know this could be a "special" power like the series... Heroes. Maybe you are like stretch in the fantastic 4!

Lisa said...

True, anonymous, but are "special powers" supposed to hurt and possibly incapacitate a person?

Sarah said...

Wasn't there a superhero called Rubberman or something? You could be Rubbergirl! You never know when Jack Bauer might call on you and you would need to escape from handcuffs to catch the rocket launcher he tossed to you to make that person who wrote on John's truck pee his/her pants! I have started on Detrol LA just so I can watch 24!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I hate my body. It is too big and too round. I have these BABS that always get in the way but interestingly make a great shelf. I get frustrated because my ankle seems to give out when I start to run, so I have made a rule for me, NO running! I am going to have hip replacement like Prince someday.

I love my body, it is the only one I have and I am thankful for it. I can eat anything and not have to sit up at night because I am unable to digest food properly.

I loved your post Lisa, I too am a clutz although no to your caliber. I too have a tendency to trip, forturnately I rarely hit the ground. Jerry was asking me the other day why I don't hit the ground more? I thought that was a silly question.

By the way, I sold my pig collection.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right--we should hang out!
I so feel your frustration. Mine is not completely physical though. While I do have asthma, I know my own body well enough to know when to slow down, but it does make cold and flu season very scary. As a result I have become kind of a germ-a-phobe. I don't like that.
But I also feel very insecure about my body. I remember being told when I was younger that I shouldn't eat so much because I was going to get fat.
Now that I am a mom of three and have gained roughly 30 lbs since high school, I hate my body even more. I tried so hard for about 6 months to work out--consistently. My husband lost more than I did and he started 2 months after I did. My trainer tried to reassure me that this was normal--"much easier for men to burn off fat" he'd say. And my husband even slowed down his workout to give my body a chance to "catch up".
But that doesn't make me feel any better--especially when a little boy in my son's class asked (as he pointed in my direction) if the fat lady was his mom. I NEVER wanted to be one of those moms (the type that causes embarrassment to her children through her physical appearance). And I asked my son if he thought I was getting fat. He said no he did not think so, but what is the saying...out of the mouths of babes? Anyway...blah blah blah...All of that to say that I read the verse in 1 Samuel 16:7
"But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'" He then went on to choose David, the smallest of all, to save His people from the Philistines. David’s outward appearance was not a set back.
Nor shall our outward appearances hinder us from achieving greatness for Him.

Lisa said...

Can I get an AMEN for Elaine?

Melinda said...

AMEN!