Monday, February 5, 2007

Collector of Much, Connoisseur of None or Things That Are Weird About Me

I realize there is some redundancy in my title. I searched through thesaurus after thesaurus trying to make it sound clever. But it all means the same thing. Moving on . . . I have always been intrigued by collectors. I have always been intrigued by what they collect. The idea that someone likes something so much that they must possess every possible manifestation ever created, designed, or produced--intriguing. Stamps are pretty popular across the board. Then there are baseball cards, comic books (my brother used to own a formidable collection of Spiderman comics), dolls. And who could forget the Beanie Baby craze. Little colorful creatures stuffed with pellets or something . . . why? I guess they were cute, but they made grown-ups act strange.

In one of my favorite movies, "Amelie", Amelie collects flat, smooth stones for skimming. The boy she falls for collects laughs and discarded pictures from photo booths. I have often thought about recording laughs, especially of my kids. My friend Nikki has a fantastic laugh. I see the thrill in collecting things and have enjoyed getting to know my friends' likings and preferences in things they can collect. It makes it possible for me to get them that one item that will always rescue me from birthday gift failure. I have a friend who loves pigs and collects all things piggy (Nye!). Another who loves frogs--Yo, Andie!!! My first grade teacher collected Barbie Dolls. She had them in this fantastic display case, original Barbies from the 50's and 60's! My friend Melinda loves bears and Cynthia loves cats. And all around me people collect things, animals, things that are designed to look like animals. I even have a student who collects "feffers" (feathers). And without fail when we go outside, if there is an empty plastic bottle within 100 foot radius, he will find it fill it with dirt,rocks, leaves, twigs, and some unsuspecting insect and VOILA! He's created his own little ecosystem.

What do I collect? For a long time I didn't really consider myself a collector of anything. I didn't like any one thing that I just had to have multiple versions of. However, when I was living in Scotland I brought home the cutest pair of earrings: silver, with blue hearts. I showed them to Melinda, who didn't display the enthusiasm I expected from her. Instead, she said, "What is it with you and blue hearts?" Shocked and affronted, I emphatically denied that I had a "thing" with blue hearts and stomped off to my room. As I was putting my fantastic, underappreciated earrings in my jewelry box, I noticed something. I had four other pairs of earrings of the blue heart variety. Apparently, I was drawn to them and collected them. Over the years I've come to realize that I actually collect quite a lot of things . . . and always have.

When I was a teenager, I collected old calendars with outdoor photographs of scenic views. I tore the pictures off and literally papered my bedroom wall with these pictures of beautiful places. I've been known to collect movie ticket stubs. I know I have every single stub from every movie I saw in Scotland during my mission time, and I often find others from films I saw years and years ago. I collect movies, but my collection is paltry, indeed--working on it. My most current collection craze, though, is lip color. I purchase more lip-gloss/stick/balm than anything else. It's almost crazy how I can't pass up a color I adore, and what's worse, putting on make-up is NOT one of my favorite things. The effort it requires . . . ARGH! Yet, my purse floweth over!

And that's just what is in my purse! I have more in my car and around the house.

I also seem to observe and compare rather odd things, like public restrooms. The two coolest restrooms in town are at Ocean's Massage Therapy and Little Red Riding Hood nursery. No, I don't have pictures of them--that would be weird! Erm . . . Yesterday I was at the brand, spanking new Walmart out on 82nd, the "upscale" side of town. I confess myself disappointed in their restroom arrangement. The store is huge and there are only 3 stalls at the front portion of the building. Maybe there's more at the back, but 3 just seems unrealistic. Everyone knows the first place to look for a restroom at Walmart is at the front. Not only that, but I expected nicer toilets for that side of town. They looked like they came from an 80's roadside rest stop and were re-fitted with state-of-the-art sensor-automated flushing mechanisms. The combination was less than visually-pleasing. I have a thing for showers, too, and would like to take this time to thank Sarah for including pictures of the showers where she's been staying: You SO rock!!! I have a nice shower, thanks to the talents of The Brother. My favorite showers are the ones at the gym I used to frequent last time I was in Glasgow. There were great showers at the General Walker Hotel in Bertchesgaden, Germany--some of you may recall. I've recently started collecting the little sayings I find on church signs. I find them pretty interesting. I'd include some here, but they are truly worth their own post, so stay tuned. As you come across them in your own worlds, if you would be so kind as to send them to me, I would most appreciate it. Let us not forget the Peanut Butter Cookie Crisp. No moron or genius bought them up that disastrous weather weekend. Some moron at General Mills decided to take them off the market! I found them on a CLEARANCE shelf at Target!!! Naturally, I bought 4 boxes when I first made this discovery. Last night they were marked down to under $2 and I grabbed 6 boxes. Fortunately, good sense kicked in and I couldn't justify throwing needed funds away on cereal, no matter how good it tastes. So, I made my peace with the impending future without Peanut Butter Cookie Crisp and left the store with just two. How bereft I shall be!!! Intriguing indeed.

11 comments:

Melinda said...

Yikes - I don't remember saying that. It didn't sound very nice. I'm sorry I didn't appreciate your earrings. :( I'm sure I could have thought of something nicer to say.

Lisa said...

Aw, Melinda!!! My point was that I was completely self-unaware of the fact that I had a collection of blue heart earrings, not to make you feel bad, dearest!!!! You weren't mean about it, it was just an observation you had made. Sorry if I made you sound insensitive, you most certainly were not! I love you!!!! You are a JEWEL!!!!

Melinda said...

Oh good. I was afraid that your elephant memory was coming back to haunt me! I'm still sorry I didn't appreciate your earrings though! :) I love you!!

Sarah said...

Elephant memory indeed. I hope you haven't forgotten your affinity for collecting poofy-sleeved floral dresses from the early 90's!

Lisa said...

Trust me girls, no one is more plagued by my elephant memory than I! But let's not forget the things that y'all remember about me that I have somehow managed to block. Mel, you did think my earrings were pretty, I'm certain. You know I tend to be more zealous about silly things than most. And what is wrong with poofy sleeved dresses, Sarah? Aren't the 90's on their way back???? :-P I love you gals!!!

Melinda said...

I'm sure the 90's will be back eventually. :p For some reason that made me think of Anne's blue dress with "puffed sleeves". :) I need to have an Anne of Green Gables marathon.

Lisa said...

~GASP!~ I'm coming over!!! But do we have to watch "The Continuing Story"?

Melinda said...

Absolutely not. I don't count that. Ha!

Anonymous said...

The lip gloss collection is impressive. I don't think I collect much. I have a small collection of silver crosses (abnormal fear of vampires?) My oddest collection and biggest is scraps of paper, beads from broken jewelry, and similar junk oddity-things many would consider trash. I like to make cards and am learning to make paper. Reminds me of a quote by Lady Bird Johnson "A weed is but an unloved flower" My quote is "Sometimes a weed is a weed."that and "whatever doesn't kill you just hurts really really bad." That is going to be one of my Blog titles.
Sorry about your cereal Lisa.

Lisa said...

Amy, I have a similar variation on that saying: "Whatever doesn't kill you might severely maim you." I, too, was thinking of including it in a blog post at one point or another--but not as a title. I concede the title to you, oh Queen Amy! Thanks for your sympathy over something as pathetic as cereal. I knew I could count on you for understanding.

Anonymous said...

My what luscious lips you have!

The better to eat your peanut butter cookie crisp cereal with!

:-)