Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Birthdaze & Other Ramblings

I'm currently listening to the song from which this blog takes its name. Can I just tell you how much I love Sister Hazel? I LOVE Sister Hazel!!!! They could easily be on the soundtrack of my life. I identify with so many of their songs. They are so inspiring and uplifting. Although, there are several that had I heard them at the time in my life of which they remind me, I'd have committed suicide. OK, probably not . . . but they would not have contributed to the healing of my broken heart at the time. You know how it is, though, when love goes awry and there are those songs out there that mirror your situation so much and you just OD on them. It's not bad enough that someone has just run your soul through the shredder, you've got to FEEL that pain and wallow in every sad song you can find. Like Sir Elton says, "They say so much." I really love Sister Hazel.

I don't know if the site will date this post January 30th or 31st. I started it on the 30th, drew a blank and am resuming it today, January 31st. If it says January 31, 2007, I turned 32 today. I have to say that this is one of the best birthdays I've ever had. All things considered, that's something. My best friend is on the other side of the globe and a lot of people from birthday parties past are scattered across the country. I typically get really depressed on my birthday. I have a good time with my friends, but the party ends, I go home alone and am left with all the thoughts that sometimes plague people on their birthdays: getting older, is my life what I imagined it'd be, will I be alone forever, will I be doing this again next year . . . etc. Well, not this year. Today was a great day. It started off with a phone call from Sarah first thing this morning, which made my morning and set the tone for the whole day. When I arrived at work there was a little cake-shaped sign taped to the entrance that read, "Happy Birthday Ms. Robertson". There was another as I entered the hallway to my classroom (and another taped to the mirror in the Ladies Restroom). When I walked in to my classroom, this is what greeted me:



The whole room was decorated with streamers, balloons and confetti. It was AWESOME! I have the best assistants EVER!!! That lovely surprise was followed by fantastic E-Cards from Sarah and Melinda, phone calls from dear friends (Jenny!) and someone whose voice I recognized, but I'm still not quite sure who it was! If you're reading this, sorry!!!! I even got a call from the car salesman who sold me my Honda two years ago! Word up, Felix! (I don't remember him calling me last year.) We had a party in class, complete with coke and chocolate cake abundant with sprinkles. That's right, I fueled those kids up and then sent them straight home--muwahahahahahahaha! (Told you I was crazy)

Next, it was a night on the town with Amanda and Elizabeth. We had dinner at El Chico--the best tortilla soup anywhere! See?


Elizabeth's Taco Salad really looked like a giant taco!


Pass the salt, Amanda.


Dessert!!! Unfortunately, that's not real whipped cream.


The other unfortunate thing was our server. The poor guy was seriously lacking in enthusiasm for his work. We must have sat for 15 minutes before we got our chips and salsa and then another 5 before we got our water. Then he disappeared for what seemed like eternity. Other patrons found his service frustrating. One group of people at the table next to ours got up and left because he took so long to even come take their order. We actually started to feel bad for the guy. It gave us plenty of time to gab and be silly. There's always a lot of silly at my birthday celebrations. Finally, I opened my presents and then headed for home. I was so excited, though, because I was finally going to have something to post about. And ever since I got my digital camera, I've been snap-happy. I got 3 movies:


And this fantastic card from Faye (she signed John's name to it, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved in the selection process):

The inside reads: Aren't you glad we've outgrown wishing for a pony?
Man, I love Faye!

Yes, it was a fantastic day. I don't feel depressed, I'm not pondering my life--I'm just glad to be living it. I'm thankful to be so loved by the people in my life, no matter where they are. In all the years since I've been able to grasp the concept of prayer, I've thanked God for the blessings in my life. This was the first year, though, that I actually thanked Him for giving me life, for letting me be born. In spite of everything I have experienced that I wish could be different, in spite of any regret or painful recollection, I am thankful for my life and that I get to be the one living it. I think the gift I'll be giving myself this year, apart from the two tubes of lip gloss, the metallic writing pens, and the new Sister Hazel album, is to leave the plaguing thoughts to God this year and go to bed happy.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

Yay! I'm so glad you had a good day. :) If I had been anywhere near you I would have made you a funfetti cake with pink icing! Ha. I just have to say that the tortilla soup looks heavenly. I need to find an El Chico around here. Oh, and I love "Just Like Heaven"!

Love you!
FAFF

Anonymous said...

My Lisa has grown up!

I am very glad that you had a great birthday, you deserve it! I am a little on the jealous side, you got El Chico, I love that place. Their Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are my favorite.

I am not sure how I felt about this last birthday. To be honest the day could not have gotten over fast enough. But I must say that despite the fact that my mom wasn't here for it and my sister forgot, it ended up being a great day. The greatest boyfriend ever did not forget, took me to dinner and treated me like I was a queen.

I think the reason I responded this way is becuase life isn't always what we want it to be but about finding the good in what we have in front of us.

By the way, Amy, felt so guilty that for days after my birthday she was still singing "Happy Birthday" and telling me how glad she was that I was here. Anyone who knows my sister knows that that would never have happened in any other circumstance.

flee said...

Lisa....I'm so glad too that you had a fun filled day! Happy Birthday to you girl! Gotta love Faye! I love that woman! Are you sure that wasn't a picture of John from the early days on that card? Hee....

I really loved your post. Your thoughts come together so well; I wish I could do this better. Your a beautiful lady and I'm glad you're my friend. Much love...flee

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lisa... I'm amazed at the *real* gift you received on your birthday - being able to embrace the good and shield yourself from things that seem to always loom and threaten to rob you of joy! I know way too well what that's like, and I *still* have days when it is so deathly hard to get out of the funk I find myself in.

Then there are days like this... when hope seems almost tangible and faith is renewed by knowing there are larger things at work here.

God help days like that to linger!!!

I really appreciate the way you share your life with us online. It's more than what I expected... and proof of the spirit life that's in you.

I totally miss El Chico. I *always* got their tortilla soup & really wish I had a bowl right now. So, I'm gonna go look at the pic of you eating yours again!

I'm so thankful that I know you!

Here's to daily rebirth and experiencing new mercies every morning!

Sarah said...

Wish I could have been there! I love you and am very thankful for your birth and the day God brought you into my life!

Anonymous said...

Lisa
I have nothing profound to say. Just that we love you, and I think our lives have crossed for a reason, and I believe our future holds something I cannot yet imagine, but big, really big! Haven't we eaten tortilla soup at El Chico's together? I make my own type of tortilla soup now. IT ROCKS. You must come visit an I will make you some.