Wednesday, January 17, 2007

And now it's time for Lisa's Favorite Fun Words!!!

Someone asked me the other day if I had any real passions. That was exactly the way he phrased it. Sounds insulting on the face of it, but I knew he meant "What things really capture your interest?" My response was "books, writing, and internet shopping" (I should be getting a commission from Amazon for my fervor and fierce loyalty). Being an English major, though, you pare it down and subtract the internet shopping and we're just left with words. I love words. I love the versatility of words. They can be evoke powerful emotions of joy, sorrow, anger, or peace. I also like the way certain words sound when I say them. So I present to you now my "Favorite Fun Word List" . . .

Ukulele, muffler, surreptitious, effervescent, jubilation, plethora, ingenue, tempestuous, iridescent, deluge, lugubrious, felicity, malfeasance, clutter, epiphany (no, I didn't forget that one!), salacious, serendipitous (Tim Rush included that word in a note to me once in AIM), carousel, decadent, cacophony, drizzle, buffer, lucid, clairvoyant, calliope, kaleidoscope, trepidation, fleece, poltroon, cahoots, bellicose, befuddled, exuberant, opulent, recalcitrance, perfunctory, penchant, pan-galactic-gargleblaster (I didn't say they were all dictionary words), exacerbate, antipathy, exegesis, paradigm, zephyr . . .

And this is the SHORT list! I know I have tons more written down somewhere, these were just off the top of my head. I hope these words make you look for your dictionary and make you a smarter person for reading them. Start using them daily in sentences and you too can confound people with your hyperintelligent eloquence.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it ironic that you like the word clutter! (I say that with all the love in my heart!) And drizzle. . .isn't that in the context of Orlando Bloom and peanut butter? Simply observations, my friend.

So, I was listening to Under Pressure while working out and was overwhelmed by the urge to giggle. I refrained and settled for a huge smile!

I love you!

Lisa said...

It is ironic, huh? I usually reserve "drizzle" for chocolate sauce or caramel . . . that would make for some might runny peanut butter. Orlando Bloom, hmmmm. My calendar ended so I'm just keeping it on his July pic. Now where did I put those crackers?

Angie said...

I learned 5 new words! Thank You! And thanks to Merriam-Webster (www.m-w.com), which I frequent almost daily.

LOVE the new pic, you hottie, you!

Jenny Nye said...

I could do without the drizzle of peanut butter and Orlando Bloom. Let's exchange Marshmallow on Gary Oldman!!! How hot is that, Sarah?! Just kidding I am not a fan of marshmallows either.

Lisa, the first thing I thought of when reading your list and got to the word "cahoots". Do you remember a certain someone who liked to use big words in the wrong context? Everytime I hear that word or read it I think of him being in cahoots.

I too am a fan of words and the way they sound. There is a barrio in Quito called Cotocollao. I love to say that word.

Jenny Nye said...

Lisa...did you know that you can only post a comment if you have an account with Google? Sarah's isn't like that. Just an FYI

Lisa said...

Sorry, Nye! I fixed it!!! Yes, I do remember the person you referenced with "cahoots". I, too, think of that often and have a good chuckle to a hearty guffaw over it. Sometimes, it just hits ya, ya know?

Melinda said...

fo shizzle ma fizzle drizzle

Charlie said...

Salubrious is a word I just love to hear. I use in all the wrong places just to here it said.
Brio, I like that word too it sounds like a cheese. Insouciance too. it's a word I'd like to be used of me.

Charlie said...

Hi Lisa.
Long time eh?

I've not read all your blog yet, sooooo busy writing one for my family & one for the church.

You are looking well my dear.
Now I'll be able to keep tabs on how you are doing.

I love the fact you love word so much. For me they are a bit of a mystery, like the English language but I do love finding new ones.

Until later
God Bless.

Lisa said...

CHARLIE!!!!! Oh my gosh!!! It soooo good to see you here! I'm stunned speechless. What a fantastic surprise!

Charlie said...

Well we Bloggers have to stick together!
The only other words I'm collecting at the moment are not real words. Things like CSS & HTML I'm trying to understand the world of computers.
Hey if you want to see "a little more" of me, try www.ashehas-loved.blogspot.com you will find some of your old friends there.
You can keep this "comment" on Lisa or delete it I don't mind.