Friday, January 26, 2007

The View from the Top

If you've been following Sarah's blog, you know that she mentioned having difficulties keeping her computer charged. I hate that for her because you really need to be able to connect when you're so far away and pretty much on your own. However, I'm quite selfish and am not thrilled about it for myself. I talk to Sarah in some shape or form every day when she's here, and if I don't I know I can quite easily. Since she's been away, we've still managed to communicate everyday and some times even talk over Skype. The thought of not being able to do so is anxiety-producing for me, and I'm trying to fend off my initial instinct to succumb to that anxiety.

I was praying this morning about these things, and as I did something came to me. I work at a group home on the occasional weekend. My favorite time is bedtime. I love tucking the children in and saying prayers with them. I love hearing their little voices directed towards heaven as they are developing their own communication with the Father. I believe you can learn a lot about a person from listening to him/her pray. When it's my turn to pray, I use it as an opportunity for a number of things. First as a model for prayer, second as model for faith in God's unlimited power and omnipresence, and last as a way to communicate that I care about them no matter what happened between us during the day, albeit indirectly. It's the modeling faith in God's power and omnipresence that came to me as I was praying this morning. A lot of children in care are separated from their families and miss them desperately. I want to impart comfort to them, so this is what I typically say in prayer:

"Father, please be with Sonny and his family. Help him to know that You are watching over him and his family. That he doesn't need to worry about them because You are so big can see them both and are taking care of them all. They are safe in Your hands."

I realized I needed to be applying to God for the same comfort in my own situation. He is all-powerful and He is omnipresent. He can see me and He can see Sarah simultaneously. I know this and I must trust that He is watching over her and that we're going to be alright even if we can't communicate for a while. Realizing that comforts me. He will continue to hear our prayers for one another although we are unable encourage one another daily. Knowing that encourages me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

Although this is an unsolicited opportunity for you, I have a feeling you will enjoy your friendship with Sarah even more now that you've had this kind of time with God.

He loves you so much, Lisa!

Sarah said...

You are too good to me. I am glad you are my friend! I love you!

I found out that I probably won't make it through US customs with the chocolate I bought you, so I'll sit and think of you quitely as I eat a very bittersweet Bounty.

As long as I can find the correct positioning of the cord to my computer, it will charge it. Let's pray that lasts!

The Gearharts said...

Come on Sarah... be a chocolate smuggler... feel the rush as you take the first step past customs with chocolate stashed in the lining of your luggage... And by the way... its for Lisa.

Lisa, hey friend... I like your posts and all of your children comments and prayers hit very close to home. We can use all the help we can get with our three:)

Love you both!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, found my way here again--hope you don't mind. Your posts really seem to make me laugh. You have such a gift with words. I felt sad about Sarah's computer problem too. But I must confess that the bond the two of you share is beautifully expressed in every post you exchange. It is obvious that you are so much more than friends, you are eternal sisters. How blessed the two of you are to have one another. And I'm praying for Sarah's cord too. Elaine

Lisa said...

Wow, Elaine, thank you! Thanks for stopping by. Tis a brave soul indeed to venture here. I'm trying to keep up with everybody else's blogs, too. You have a gift for words yourself. . . who knew there was this world in cyberspace, huh?