Friday, January 12, 2007

My Favorite Things

One of my all time favorite movies is "The Sound of Music". I know all the songs by heart and sometimes I catch myself singing or humming them in the most random moments. I love the song Maria sings to comfort the children during the storm, "My Favorite Things." She trills through a list of her favorite things: rain drops on roses, whiskers on kittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings, and my personal favorite schnitzel with noodle. (I LOVE schnitzel! If you've never had it, you must put it on your "to-do" list. Quite tasty!) I have some favorite things, things that make me smile, my heart race, my toes tingle . . . things that put butterflies in my stomach, a spring in my step, and any other cliche about giddiness that you can imagine.

Gerber daisies, 1000 thread count sheets (heaven on earth!), peanut butter, roadtrips, internet shopping--nothing like coming home to that brown package on the doorstep with the Amazon logo on it, Google, the word "ukelele", real butter, Glasgow City Centre, singing to the radio in the car--I like to sing all parts of the harmony simultaneously, proper British tea, movie trailers--I love it when there are so many that I forget what movie I came to see in the first place, Rosa's Beef Fajita Nachos, Pride and Prejudice, pistachios, toast, double-decker buses, traveling by train, New Mexico sunsets, thunderstorms, the Gospel of John, old fashioned hymns, acappella singing, the smell in floral shops, purses that can hold a book + all the other junk I put in it, singing "Under Pressure" at the top of my lungs (I AM Freddie Mercury), laughing so hard I can barely breathe and tears are streaming down my face . . .

I could probably go on all day. These are just a few of my favorite things. Some seem trite, but I count them all blessings from God (yes, I'm certain God loves me when I taste nachos--He made them just for me). What makes them even more significant to me is that I have gotten to share in most of these things with dear friends. Friends have to be my most favorite blessings. Especially because "Under Pressure" is a duet and requires another voice to get the most enjoyment out of it. So until David Bowie gets back, I'm going to have to sing his part, too, even though it's a terrible strain on the old vocal chords, particularly after hitting that ridiculous high note. (Trust me, I sound ridiculous while hitting it.) I am so thankful for my friends. They love me, laugh with me, cry with me, pray for me, reproach me, sing with me, and help me better understand the nature of God's unending love for me--something I don't always comprehend on either count. That's how I truly know God loves me, He made friends just for me . . . oh, and schnitzel with noodle.

6 comments:

Angie said...

BEAUTIFUL! The world inside your head isn't so scary after all! ;-)

Tonight I sat on the back deck and watched evening fall. I can't think of the last time I've done that. I even laid down on the deck to watch the trees form shadows as the sun went away. Everything beautiful or touching or sweet or kind... EVERYTHING holds the mark of God, and He is closest to me when I take the time to acknowledge those moments.

Throw a friend or two in the mix and I'm useless! It's just overwhelming that God loves me so much to give me such gifts!

And you... Honey you must be wearing a big ol' red bow on your head. Because you are a gift!

Melinda said...

That was loverly. :)

Sarah said...

I'm in tears because I am lonely without my Freddie Mercury! David has to sing both parts during my workout! It is so awkward!

I love learning about the things you love, because they are things I love too. You are at the top of my list of things I love!!! Right up there next to nutella!!!!! And I think God has a purpose for our Under Pressure duet!!! Maybe we could take it on the road as a spiritual revival act and Sophie could do her spring board trick off of you to show her exuberance for the Lord! Glory indeed!

Sarah said...

BTW, I'm in heaven in your head!!!! I love how you think!!! And God Bless Lisa's blog!

Sarah said...

I can add your butterfinger cookies to my list of favorite things, too. I'll also add to it the way you know what I'm thinking because you are thinking it simultaneously! And when I know I can't look at you at certain times because I know what you're thinking and it would get us both laughing, and then we would get kicked out of whatever establishment we were in. I love when you laugh so hard you cry! I wish I could do that!

Lisa said...

I love my butterfinger cookies, too.