Friday, January 19, 2007

Be Prepared

Whenever I think of being prepared, two things come to mind: the Sweet Potato Queens and MacGyver. In her book, The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love, Jill Connor Brown devotes an entire chapter to being prepared. (It's a fun book with pearls of Southern wisdom, but I recommend it with caution. If you're easily offended, you probably won't enjoy it. Along with the good stuff and tasty recipes, there is plenty to find offensive. Consider yourself warned.) Then there's MacGyver, and we all know he is the most prepared man in the history of the world, needing only his trusty of Swiss Army knife and a roll of duct tape. After 7 seasons of creative preparedness, you'd think we'd have learned something. Either West Texas has forgotten or missed the message entirely.

If you've been following the weather at all, you know a major cold front has been approaching the South Plains promising sleet, ice, and the heaviest snow in 7 years. We've known about it around here for a few days, but have we been preparing for it? The city road crew might have been, but I'm not so sure about the citizens. In an area where the only thing you can count on is the inconstancy of the weather, you'd think preparedness would be second nature to the folks around here. The truth, though, seems to be that whenever there's the threat of severe winter weather, gas price increase, or Y2K people are stricken with a sudden bout of mania. There was not a generator to be found at the end of 1999 as people prepared for the end of the world. Last night, you could have gone to any grocery store in town and not found a scrap of meat or a single bottle of water; and that was if you could even have gotten into the parking lots. It's like the people of this area have never experienced a heavy snow . . . ever. Granted, it's always good to err on the side of caution, but how much meat do you need to get through a weekend? Do you really need to steal hot dog buns from someone else's shopping cart? I'll admit I picked up some extra water and batteries, and a few toys to occupy the dogs over the next couple of days. As a tribute to "Mac", the father of modern resourcefulness, I have my handy leatherman tool to cut down the trees in the backyard if I end up needing firewood, as I fashion a woodburning stove out of the dumpster in the alley. If things get really bad I can also use it to spear squirrels to sustain me and the dogs while we wait out the famine that apparently is inevitably going to happen. I can even make us lodgings out of the squirrel pelts when the house has been pillaged and burned by looters. There's nothing left in the stores, so you know they'll be hitting residences. I'm also a crack shot with the blowgun that I can make from the PVC pipe in the garage to fend off assailants. Bring it on.

I may be eating crow later when my electricity goes out and my pipes freeze. (You may not be hearing from for a couple of days, so if you live around here come and check on me!) The preparedness question is a legitimate one in my mind as I remember the Great Deluge of 1998 (or '99?). It rained so much that the playa lakes overflowed and a prominent golf course on the south side of town turned into a lake itself. Did anyone see that one coming? If MacGyver had been here, he would have dug another storm drain with his Swiss Army knife and built a damn using duct tape, a paper clip, and piece of chewing gum and saved the back 9th. It may sound far-fetched to you, but that's what I call "prepared".

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank the good Lord above that you have a blog!!!!! What would entertain me so.

Anonymous said...

When I think of being prepared, I think of the boy scouts and Jack Bauer!!!

I sure hope you are prepared for more bad weather. I would hate to see you get so hungry that you would have to eat this post!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I am Elaine and after viewing Sarah's blog I had to follow her advice and read your posting. Just to add to the craziness of it all, I wanted to share my sister's grocery store experience with you. She lives in Slaton and went to United last night to get a few things and the POLICE were there!! She said people began fighting over baskets and they had to call them out for the safety of the employees. She stood in line for 30 minutes waiting for a basket to become available. When it finally didn't, she just went through the store grabbing items she could carry--not sure what she is going to use rubbing alcohol, peppermint candies, and milk for but she felt as though she accomplished something. Your postings have brought many laughs to my day. Oh, and one of my favorite words is mendacious. I don't think I saw that on your list.

Lisa said...

oooh, MENDACIOUS!!!! That's going on Lisa's Favorite Fun Word Listed Extended Edition!!! Thanks, Elaine. It really was crazy. I went out to the Target on Brownfield Hwy and there was hardly a soul. Although, with the sudden meat shortage throughout the city, I'm wondering if I should have picked up some flank shanks or something!

tim rush said...

I was reading quickly and had to go back... "to spear squirrels to sustain me and the dogs" That was a relief. I thought you were thinking about spearing the dogs!

I've also got a few favorite words but since I don't know how to spell them, I'll keep them to myself for now.

Lisa said...

ANGIE!!! Jack Bauer!!! Of, course!!! That boy is prepared even when he isn't! The MacGyver of the New Millenium. The MacGyver who embraces violence and DOES use guns!!! How many more exclamation points do I need to convey my enthusiasm for Jack Bauer??!!!????!!!!

Sarah said...

JACK BAUER FOR PRESIDENT!!!!! And by the way, I'll hurt you real bad if you spear my dog!