Monday, January 8, 2007

The First Real Post . . . don't hold your breath

In case you were curious, the title of my blog comes from a favorite Sister Hazel song of mine--one of many. The chorus croons, "Oh, you should see the world inside my head!" I feel that way a lot, but a feeling that closely follows is "Thank God nobody can!"

My best friend left the country today. She is probably at some lofty cruising altitude over the Atlantic by now. Shakespeare wrote "parting is such sweet sorrow" and contextually speaking, I acknowledge its truth. However, in the greater genralization of things, what a CROCK!!! There is nothing sweet about the sorrow that comes with saying goodbye. I knew the moment had to come. I've known about it for months and I have known that it'll only be for a few months, but that doesn't make the parting sweet. It doesn't even make it easier. It just hurts. But in my history of goodbyes I have learned that while the sorrow of parting is neither sweet nor easy, it is not permanent. The tears subside, the heartache diminishes, and I have a choice. I can choose to be sad and cling to that pain or I can choose to embrace each day and the opportunities therein. I choose the latter.

Today was surreal and a bit hard, but not too hard for me to notice an enormous red pick-up truck on enormous tires. I'm talking huge with huge shocks to match. The bottom of the door must be about the height of my shoulder or even slightly above that, and I'm pretty tall. I just think, "Why?" Why would anyone need such a vehicle for everday living? We live on the plains, not in the bayou, for crying out loud. Who needs a vehicle that they have to repel from everytime they want to get out of the thing? I'm pretty sure I know to whom it belonged. As I shopped, I noticed some chaps hanging around the camoflauge/hunting section. I had to resist the temptation to tell them that all the camoflauge in Wal-Mart would not make their ridiculous auto an effective deer blind.

4 comments:

Angie said...

YAY! It's so great to "read" you! I love your style of writing & can just hear you talking while I read!

I hate to disagree with you about the sweet sorrow thing, but I just have to add that you wouldn't even feel sorrow if you didn't love so much. You love and you are loved!!! That's pretty sweet to me!

I am thrilled that you're blogging. I've enjoyed our instant messaging and MySpacing so much... and now I get an even closer look into that ol' head of yours!

Much love to you, Lisa!!!

Lisa said...

Angie, Sarah and I took the same Stress Management correspondence course at Tech right before we graduated. We had to read one of Tony Robbins's books and in it he talked about "reframing" our perceptions of situations. It was our joke for a while, when things seemed to be going awry, we would chant "Reframe! Reframe!" to one another and then roll over laughing. I have decided, in this moment, that you are the Queen Reframer. Way to spin it, girl! Have you thought about a career as a publicist?

Sarah said...

I'll second that! Way to put a positive spin on things Angie. A great gift you have!

Lisa, thank God above for your blog. Now I can feel as though you are a little bit closer to me. I need the sick humor regularly!!! So don't hold back!

Melinda said...

Oooooh. A Lisa blog. This should be fun. :) Sorry you had a hard day on Monday. It's always hard to say goodbye, however temporary it may be.